Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Biden confused and more Catholic bishops speak out

VP candidate Joseph Biden went on "Meet the Press" with Tom Brokaw and said, "I'm prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception. But that is my judgment. For me to impose that judgment on everyone else who is equally and maybe even more devout than I am seems to me is inappropriate in a pluralistic society."

Biden's position is morally bankrupt and confused. On the one hand, he believes life begins at conception and yet he doesn't want to impose that that belief on others. Well, he does support imposing a belief on others, a belief he just doesn't support.

Imagine you believe innocent human life is being destroyed yet you refuse to do anything to protect it even when it's in your power to do so. That seems tantamount to having the power to protect life during the Holocaust and yet refusing to do so because that would mean "impos[ing] that judgment on everyone else" and that's "inappropriate in a pluralistic society."

Well, I'm grateful to see 14 Catholic bishops speaking out against Biden's bankrupt and confused statement.

No comments: