Monday, March 11, 2013

Libertarian Ron Paul defends unborn in Canada.

It was refreshing hearing libertarian former Congressman Ron Paul defend the unborn while on a trip in Canada.  He points out that libertarianism respects the individual and that should be extended to the unborn as well.
Speaking during a media availability at the Manning Networking Conference, the former Republican presidential candidate acknowledged that the issue of abortion is “difficult” for him as a libertarian, because he so strongly emphasizes individual rights and bodily autonomy.

“Yet I think that all liberty depends on life,” he said. “So, the question isn’t so much whether the individual has the right…to take the life of a fetus. The question is, well does the fetus have rights? And I’ve come down on the side to say that it does.”

“The libertarian position is you can’t commit aggression against any other person, and as a physician and an OB doctor, believe me, I had legal responsibilities to the unborn,” he added. “If I did something wrong, I could be sued for this.”

No comments: