Monday, August 12, 2013

Matt Damon, big champion of public schools sends his kids to private school.

Actor Matt Damon is a big proponent of public schools, yet he can't send his kids there.  The reason for the private schools?  The public schools aren't progressive enough.  Seriously.
Choosing a school has already presented a major moral dilemma. "Sending our kids in my family to private school was a big, big, big deal. And it was a giant family discussion. But it was a circular conversation, really, because ultimately we don't have a choice. I mean, I pay for a private education and I'm trying to get the one that most matches the public education that I had, but that kind of progressive education no longer exists in the public system. It's unfair." Damon has campaigned against teachers' pay being pegged to children's test results: "So we agitate about those things, and try to change them, and try to change the policy, but you know, it's a tough one."
 I wonder if he'd support empowering poor parents to send their children to the school of their choice.  I kind of doubt it.

No comments: